Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Neon Chevron Skittles Manicure


Howdy, everyone!  How's your weekend?  I know it's just about over for everyone, but Sunday evenings are usually about the only "weekend" I get anymore.  My work day is shorter than the rest of the week and I don't have to work in the morning.  Woohoo!  

I have a fun experiment for you guys today.  I say "experiment" because I really didn't know how it would turn out.  As it turns out, some good things happened and some not so good things happened.  I do love a good learning experience!  So, I'll quit jawing on about it and just show you the photos :)



....more after the jump....





I'm calling this a Chevron Skittle manicure.  I used neon colors for this one, but it would look really great with any kind of jelly-ish polish.  Because I used the neons, I have to apologize because neons always make my camera freak out.  Despite a bit of time with color correction, you're still not going to see the full "bright" here, but I did my best!


I was thinking about how sheer neons are and how a white or light colored background polish makes them pop so well.  I wondered what would happen if I only painted part of my nail white before applying a neon polish...that's where the experimental part comes in, since the only way to know was to try it!  

To start, I taped off my nails in a chevron pattern using pinking shears to cut the design with blue painter's tape and then painted over the tape with Wet 'n' Wild's French White Creme.  While the polish was still wet, I pulled off the tape, leaving the chevron pattern behind.  After that dried, I painted each nail with a different neon polish.  My index, middle and pinky fingers are painted with another set of Color Club polishes I scored at Marshall's for $4.99.  There aren't polish names on the bottles, but the mini collection was labeled as "Poptastic" and the colors range from hot pink to violet.  My thumbnail is painted with Sinful Colors 24/7, which is a lot more saturated of a pink than my photos show.  Finally, I used SC's Dream On on my ring finger, a fuchsia neon.  I topped everything with some Seche Vite.
 

As I said before, I got some good stuff out of my experiment.  It's pretty cool the way the color looks more saturated on the white parts of my nail.  It's an easy way to do a two-toned manicure using sheer polishes.  However, neons are notoriously streaky and usually take a few thin coats to even things out.  Since I didn't want everything to have the same opacity, I could really only do one coat of each color here which does make the streakiness more apparent on some of the nails.  

On the whole, I did like this manicure and I'm looking forward to trying some different colors with it in the future.  Here's one last photo for the road:


Thanks so much for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Muckin love these!! Neons are my steeze and these colors are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've got one, check out your local Marshall's. Both of the stores I frequent had those little mini sets of Color Club. The colors are even better in person, my camera just can't handle the awesomeness of neons lol Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!