Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nail-aween Challenge 3: Bloody Nails



Hello again!  I know this is 2 posts in less than 24 hours, but I couldn't help myself.  I got done with the 3rd Nail-aween challenge and it turned out so fantastically that I had to share right away!  The challenge is "Bloody Nails".  I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to do a drippy red french manicure or really grungy zombie nails.  I decided instead to try a new technique. Without further ado:


I splattered 'em!  I've seen this technique around in the blogosphere and decided to give it a shot.  I started with 2 coats of Essie in Yogaga, a greyish beige creme.  When that was dry, I cut a straw into 3ish inch pieces and dipped one end into Sally Hansen Diamond Strength in Chocolate Kiss.  CK is a perfect deep red with brown undertones for blood.  Turned out quite convincing, I thought!  I made sure the dipped end was totally covered with polish and then I blew a sharp breath into the non-polished end of the straw.  As you blow, the polish sprays out and splatters randomly all over your nail.  It took a few puffs to get the right pressure going, but it was easy after that.  Messy, but easy :)  A word to the wise, do tape off your nails.  Otherwise, clean up will take forever.  On my left hand, I thought I'd be smart and just slather on cuticle oil as a barrier against the excess polish.  Yeah, that didn't really work.  Tape may take a bit longer to apply, but it's a lot cleaner.

*more after the jump*



Here's a close up of my bloody manicure:


And, because my right hand never gets any love although it looks just as fabulous as my left:


And here's a shot of my right hand before clean up.  You can see how much extra polish got flung around; I even got some on my face!


I actually really like the "before clean up" photo, it's very horror movie-ish.  When I applied my Seche Vite, it really knocked out all that gloppy texture that looks like congealed blood in this photo.  And, I know, that's what SV is supposed to do, but I was somewhat disappointed about it in this case.

I hope you're enjoying the Nail-aween Challenge as much as I am because there's lots more to come!  Thanks so much for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Great bloody mani *wink-wink* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally dig this - the one you didn't clean up looks especially gruesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only done one splattered mani and I did it with five colors! The clean up was terrible. I learned my lesson for sure. The Chocolate Kiss is totally perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!