Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

27 of 31: Nails Inspired by Artwork


Howdy, everyone!  Only 4 days left in the 31 Day Challenge!  Pretty crazy, huh?  Today's challenge was to be inspired by artwork.  My friend, Joe, went to Spain a couple of weeks ago and got to check out the Salvador Dali museum there.  Knowing my interest in jewelry, he brought me back a catalog of Dali's Jewels, a series of sculptures made out of precious metals and stones.  I hesitate to call them all jewelry as some of them aren't really meant to be worn, but they're all lovely.  While the photos in the catalog are spectacular, some day, I hope I'll get to see them in person.

I chose a particular piece from this collection as my inspiration.  The Royal Heart is a small gold heart with a miniature crown.  The center of the heart, a vertical rectangle has been cut out and in the space, an anatomical heart shaped out of rubies has been set.  The most amazing thing about this piece is that the ruby heart actually beats.  It's breath-taking to watch, almost creepy in a way.  I've tried to attach a video at the end of this post, so we'll see if it goes.  There's also a link, which I urge you to click so you can see the heart beat for yourself.  Here's my interpretation along with a picture of The Royal Heart:


Stunning, yes? (The Heart, not my manicure lol)  I started with a coat of Orly's Luxe topped with 2 coats of Oscar by Julep.  While that dried, I created some nail decals by placing dots of color on top of some saran wrap and left it to dry.  I made rectangle stencils with blue painter's tape and used a deep maroon O.P.I. whose name I don't know (obviously part of a mini set to which I don't have the packaging) to paint in the rectangles.  Once the decals dried, I cut them to fit the rectangles and fixed them to my nails with a coat of Seche Vite.  I added some yellow heart "jewels" in the center of each nail for some extra bling.


This challenge has been so fun (and exhausting) and I'll be a little sad when it's over (but not too sad).  I hope you all are enjoying it as much as I am.   Please tune in tomorrow to see some flag-inspired nail art!  Thanks so much for reading!

This *should* be the video of The Royal Heart beating.  Here's the link just in case this doesn't load the way I hope it will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!