Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year's Eve Manicure


Howdy everyone!  I hope you all have had a bang-up holiday season!  I apologize for my lack of posting lately, I did go back home to Kansas for Christmas and although I've been back for almost a week, I've been sick, sick, sick!  Like glued to my bed kind of sick.  There is some nasty crud going around out there, so take care of yourselves please!  I know laying around in bed always sounds like fun...until you have to do it...then it's just kinda boring.  Fortunately, I had my awesome bf to take care of me whilst I was under the weather so it was better than it could have been.  

In addition to going home and getting sick, I've been suffering from that blogger's block that seems to hit just about everyone at some time or another.  I look at all my pretty polishes lately and can't think of one thing I want to do with them.  Maybe it's just this time of year or maybe it's just a creative drought.  I hope it clears up soon!  I did manage to pull out a decent (I hope!) New Year's Eve manicure so I've got some pics to show you.


Aren't they pretty??  I went pretty simple for this year.  I started with 2 coats of Wet 'n' Wild Megalast in 2% Milk and then grabbed a set of foils from a Ciate kit I bought at Marshall's.  I chose a gold iridescent foil for plenty of year-end bling!  I love the result with one exception and it's something I've noticed with foils before. 
 

If you look at the above 2 photos, you can see how shiny and reflective the foils are.  It doesn't last.  If you top coat the foil, which I usually do for durability, it tends to add an almost brushed texture to it.  Even if you don't top coat, the second something mildly abrasive (like a paper towel) touches the foil the same thing happens.  In the first 2 photos here, I'm not wearing a top coat.  The one below shows the effect with one coat of Seche Vite.
 

I don't necessarily hate the way it looks; it's still gold and iridescent, but it would be nice to keep that reflective finish.  Anyone deal enough with foils to have a solution?  I'd love to hear any suggestions that you know of!

By the way, I'm not sure I've ever announced that I've got an instagram account, @Vashtiaa.  I've been using instagram a lot more lately to show manicures that I'm not posting about,  so be sure to follow me over there to keep up with all the Over the Top Coat goodness!  

I hope everyone has a safe and fun New Year's Eve!  Let's ring in a fantastic 2014, ok?  :)  Thanks so much for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a difference. I wonder if a different top coat wouldn't affect it that much. I've never tried foils, but it seems like those are just special occasion kind of things?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!