Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My First Post...

It kind of feels like there should be an "awwwww" after that title. At least, I said it mentally, I don't know if anyone else did. Of course, at this point, I don't imagine anyone else is reading this so I suppose it's a bit of a moot point. Let's start over, shall we?

My name is Natalie and I am addicted to nail polish. There, that's a fitting start to a nail polish blog, right? As a reformed nail biter, I decided that I deserved a little reward for kicking a bad habit. I began painting my nails regularly and then I started reading nail blogs and then I started spending all my free time and extra money (the little there is) on my nails. I decided to start my own blog mostly so I'll have an organized space to detail and photograph all my manicures. If anyone else reads along, that's just fine, too.

Without further ado, here's my latest manicure!



Here I started with two coats of Wet n Wild Megalast nail color in Private Viewing, a slightly pink nude with a tiny bit of a shimmer. I then applied scotch tape in strips and painted over that with Wet n Wild Wild Shine nail color in Black Creme. I removed the tape and topped it off with a coat of Seche Vite (which is my preferred top coat).

I really love this manicure! Private Viewing almost matches my skin tone, so I really got the look of wearing no base polish at all. The Black Creme stripes did get a bit streaky at points, but that was just my impatience at wanting it all to be dry NOW! This was a simple manicure to do and I love the contrast. I may try it in the future with a bright yellow base polish, although it would look great with any base color that contrasts with the black.

Several people have asked me if I have a favorite brand of polish and the answer is that I enjoy all brands of nail polish. I know there are people out there who will swear by one polish over another but, my personal feeling is that, since I do change my polish every other day, most polishes (with a good top coat) will not chip and stay looking pretty for that length of time. I'm not to the point where I feel it's necessary to spend $15, $20, or more on one bottle of polish (though I do covet ALL of Deborah Lippman's polishes, especially her glitters). I've done manicures with polishes that cost a bit more and the $1 polish you can buy at the dollar store and I've enjoyed all of them. As long as the finished product looks the way I want it to, it's all good!

You also may notice that my cuticles are not perfect. I am working on it! I wash my hands quite a bit during the day at my jobs and it does tend to dry them out. I'm currently using Julep's Essential Cuticle Oil which I like very much (and received as part of their Maven program, so no, I did not pay full price for it). This is, however, the first year where I haven't had bleeding cuticles all winter, so I must be doing something right. Please bear with me, I hope to have them in tip-top shape soon! My photography skills will also improve (hopefully!) as I figure out the best way to shoot the polish up close.

In closing, if anyone other than me ends up reading this blog, thanks for stopping by! Leave a comment if you get a moment, I'd love to hear from you!

P.S. Thanks also to my friend, Joe, for the name of the blog. I was wracking my brain and coming up dry and he was nice enough to send a few suggestions, including "Over the Topcoat", my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!