Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Indie Spotlight: Shirley Ann Nail Lacquer Lucy in the Sky, Shot Gun Wedding & Wedded Bliss


I tell you guys what, I'm swatchin' my fingers off these days!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I've had some really great opportunities lately to swatch some fantastic polishes and I'm thrilled about that.  But, it is hard work, yo!  I've gotten a hangnail (fortunately on my non-photo hand) for the first time in month and I think it's because of all the nail polish remover.  Gotta get on the moisturizing!

Anyway, back to swatching!  Cherish, of Shirley Ann Nail Lacquer, drew my name out of her virtual hat this month to swatch a few of her lovely creations and I was only too happy to comply.  Especially when I saw the glittery awesomeness that showed up in my mailbox a few days ago!  Let's get down to it!


Imma start you all off with Lucy in the Sky.  This glitter topper is full of girly pinkness, but this girl is spunky!  A clear base chock full of tiny bright pink glitter with holographic hot pink dots and blue holographic stars, Lucy is far from demure.  I couldn't resist layering her over basic black (Deborah Lippmann's Edge of Glory) to show her off in the best light.


As you might expect from such a peppy young lady, application was a bit tricky.  The base and small pink glitters are fine, but you're going to want to turn the bottle upside down or get a paper clip/bobby pin to get to those colorful dots and stars.  The payoff is totally worth it, but just be aware that there is some sinking.  


Lucy in the Sky is just one of those polishes that make you say "Wow!" the first time you unwrap her and when that holographic glitter catches the light, she'll make you'll fall in love all over again.
 

Next up, let's take a look at Shot Gun Wedding.  This beautiful glitter topper is full of hexes, micro glitter and shreds in several shades of blue.  At first glance, I thought perhaps SGW was a little too monochromatic for me, but once I got it on my nails I really liked it.  I've shown here over O.P.I.'s My Vampire Is Buff so you can easily see the shapes of glitter present.


I was most surprised at the shred glitter in this.  I normally dislike shreds because often, for me anyway, they don't want to lay down flat on the nail.  I had no issues like that with SGW which was great.  Application was a breeze and these photos show one coat of SGW, so you can see it's pretty saturated with glitter.


Overall, Shot Gun Wedding was a pleasant surprise.  If you're looking for a blue glitter topper with some interesting visual texture, this one might be right up your alley.


I've saved my favorite of the three for last.  Wedded Bliss is a clear-based topper packed with silver micro glitter, grey dots, white bars and squares, and yellow hexes in two sizes.  I can't definitively tell you what I love so much about this polish, but I think the color combination and the glitter mix are just so spot on!  And I'm someone who does not love bar glitter, but it just works so well here, I can't hate on it.
 

I did a quick gradient with Sinful Colors' Jungle Trail and Deborah Lippmann's Edge of Glory to showcase WB's colors and shapes.  That pale yellow is so perfect with grey or black!  I had no issues with application and I'm showing one coat of WB over the gradient.  I did dip the brush back in to get a few more dots and squares on my nails.  I do wish there were a few more of those larger glitters in the mix, but that's my only complaint.
 

Cherish has done a bang up job with these polishes and I'm excited to try a few more I've been eying on Etsy!  She's also been kind enough to make a discount code for my readers so if you'd like to try some of her beautiful polishes, just enter code OCT2013 through November 1st to save 20% on your purchase!  Shirley Ann Nail Lacquers retail for $3 for mini bottles and $6 for full size, which makes them a great bargain even before the 20% off.   Keep updated on Shirley Ann news via Facebook.

Thanks so much for reading!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!