Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Magnetic Water Marble Manicure


Howdy, everyone!  Well, my WSU Shocker manicure from yesterday didn't do the team a lot of good for their Final Four game.  They ended up losing by a couple of points, but they put up a great fight and had a really good season.  Who knows what'll happen next year?

Anyway, I have a new mani today for you to see.  I seem to be stuck on magnetic polish lately, not sure what that's all about.  I got to thinking about other ways to use magnetic polish and, knowing that you can do a gradient with it and get a pretty nifty effect, I wondered what a water marble might look like. 


And now I know!  As you can see in the photo, the magnetic effect is really subtle (you can see it best on my thumbnail) which makes sense since it's a pretty thin layer of polish.
 

I started this manicure with 2 coats of Julep's Lena, a pretty teal with a gold shimmer.  Lena is pretty much a one-coater, but I can never seem to leave it at one coat...gotta have at least two or I feel weird!  For the marble, I used China Glaze Magnetix in both Pull Me Close and Instant Chemistry and a set of mini magnetic polishes from Ulta.  I picked this set up on clearance a couple of months back.  I used 3 of the 4 polishes in the set; Opposites Attract (purple metallic), Rules of Attraction (pink metallic) and Polar Opposites (teal metallic).  Even without a strong magnetic effect, this turned out to be a pretty marble.  The colors look nice together and there's a pretty shimmer from both the magnetic polishes and Lena.
 

This was definitely an experiment and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  My marbling is starting to look better with practice and it's becoming less frustrating as well. What do you guys think? Have you tried a water marble with magnetic polish before?  How'd it turn out?

And don't forget to enter my Sinful Colors giveaway...last day to enter is this Wednesday!
Thanks so much for reading!

6 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I can't do a water marble to save my life. This technique impresses me, no end!

    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Water marbling is such a pretty look but I often wonder if it's worth it at all. I lucked out this time and didn't have to redo any of my nails, but I usually have one or two that just will not take right no matter what I try.

      Delete
  2. Colors look amazing together - magnetic effect seems to show up in the purple on all your nails. Like the way your pointer and ring fingers turned out - nice shot in the 3rd photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have "favorite nails" when I do marbles. I wish I was better at creating the same design on each nail, but I just can't seem to line things up the same way twice! Thanks, Liz!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!