Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

24 of 31: Nails Inspired by a Book


Hello again!  Ok, now I'm back on track with posting, yay!  Day 24's challenge is a manicure inspired by a book.  I chose The Princess Bride as my inspiration.  Written by William Goldman, The Princess Bride is the basis for the 1987 movie by the same name.  Yes, you know the one...Fire Swamps, swash buckling, and #1 kisses of all time.  The book is really pretty good, although there are some key differences to the movie version.  I sort of pulled from both sources for this mani (I figure the book inspired the movie and I'm inspired by the book so it follows that the movie can be part of the inspiration...plus, see the note where it's my blog and I'll do what I want if you're confused).  Here's what I came up with:


I just love it!  This is one of my favorites so far in the challenge.  It was so much fun to do! I'll break this one down nail by nail as well.


 Starting with Westley on my thumb.  Or I should more properly say, The Dread Pirate Roberts!  Mask, mustache and scarf do make the man, don't they?  Who wasn't a little in love with Cary Elwes in the movie?  All blonde and man-of-few-words-y...yum!  This is just some black striping polish and Sharpie over 2 coats of Wet 'n' Wild's Wild Shine in French White Creme.


And with Westley, comes Buttercup, the Princess Bride herself.  Robin Wright (before she was Penn) was amazing in this film and I couldn't help picturing her as the character when I read the book.  Here's her crown made with red, yellow and blue striping polish and Milani's 3D Holographic in 3D over 2 coats of FWC again.


My personal favorite character has always been Inigo Montoya.  Even without the infamous "Hello!" monologue, he's such a great character.  I highly suggest reading the book just so you can get more of his back story.  He had a rough time of it, did lil' Inigo.  I went with a play on the whole "Hello!" business here.  I couldn't write small enough to get "my name is" in there between the salutation and his name, but you get the idea.  Julep's January provides the red frame and black Sharpie for his name.  FWC for "Hello" and the background.
 

Fezzik loves his rhymes and who doesn't love Fezzik?  The classic Gentle Giant, Fezzik is forced to wrestle at a young age, but secretly he has the heart of a poet.  One of my favorite lines in the movie is Vizzini saying "No more rhyming now, I mean it!" and Fezzik's reply of "Anybody want a peanut?".  Makes me giggle every time!  So here's a peanut...this is made out of a couple of different no name polishes and striping polish over the ubiquitous 2 coats of FWC.
 

And finally, Westley's message of love to Buttercup, "As you wish...".  Buttercup has a lovely speech in the book when she realizes that she loves Westley, it's one of my favorite love scenes ever written.  This is simple black Sharpie again, but still cute for all that.

As I said before, I'm so happy with the way this turned out!  However, I've really got to get better about taking photos in the sunlight.  This indoor shots are just not cuttin' it any more.  Oh well, we work with what we have, right? 

Come on back tomorrow to see a fashion inspired manicure and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment here. I don't get to respond to every comment but I do read and appreciate each one. Please be aware, I delete all comments with websites/links attached that do not have prior approval. Thank you!